Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Lure of the PTA

I used to make fun of parents who chose to act as President of the PTA or serve on the board of their kid's school.  It seemed to me that it came from a selfish motivation, that if one or both of parents were active in the school, their children would receive special treatment.

Today I understood for the first time the deeper satisfaction that comes from being involved.  I have fallen into the position of not only organizing the wedding gift for the recently-married nursery teacher, but also the parents' Mishloach Manot for Purim, which arrives in about three weeks.

As a result, I am sending lots of emails to the other Gan parents and they are writing back to me, or coming up to me in person at pick-up time to give me their input and thank me for taking the initiative. This afternoon, several of the parents invited Raphaela and me to come with them to the park, and a group of the parents and the Gan children played together.

For the first time I felt a part of something bigger than myself, a part of the group, and appreciated for my efforts.  I feel like a Gan Mommy.

No comments: