Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Revenge of the Hormones

In the last week, hints of the nausea I suffered through in the first four months have returned. My skin has become quite sensitive, combined with my usual Fall allergies.

More than that, and perhaps aided by my recent sense of boredom and lack of structure, I got into bed last night and was suddenly overcome with an inexplicable and overwhelming sadness; and a whole series of unfounded concerns about the baby, wondering if she is OK in there; and a feeling for myself that I don't know how I could emotionally get through the next two weeks, if the young lady decides to arrive late, as the official due date has arrived today.

I sat in bed and cried, and when I was done, I could not tell you why I was crying or why suddenly I was playing out worst-case-scenarios in my head.

I have not cried that way during most of the pregnancy, with the exception of several stressful events, and have not succumbed to the stereotype of the irrational and hysterical pregnant woman, though I suppose all this could be blamed on hormones.

No comments: