Thursday, September 10, 2009

Like a Ripened Peach

Amazing how every person has an opinion about the pregnancy and the birth, whether solicited or not. While standing on line at the supermarket today, a random Israeli man told me that I was "definitely" having a boy, based upon the shape of my stomach. The ultra-sounds would suggest otherwise.

A patient this morning said that I was not yet ready to give birth because my face did not resemble that of a "ripened peach." I argued that since I am consistently losing weight - except in my stomach - it is likely that I will not get bloated before I give birth.

Another patient said that I was not yet ready to give birth because my belly hadn't dropped, and I pointed out that my mother did not drop for any of her children, and perhaps genetics is coming into play here.

A friend encouraged me that I could still give birth any time, despite the fact that the baby is quite active when I am not having Braxton Hicks contractions. "My baby was active until several hours before the birth."

I appreciate the intention behind all the helpful advice, and am trying to filter as much as possible, to maintain my excitement for labour. Not that I am a masochist, but I get to hold my healthy beautiful child after the discomfort, G-d Willing, and that makes all this worthwhile.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Either way, b'hatzlachah. I enjoy your blog - looking forward to hearing good news soon!

Miriam
London, UK

Abandoning Eden said...

this thread is useless without pics!


seriosuly, some belly pics need to be up here, stat! :)

Doc said...

OK, I can accomodate with belly pics, though as I have said in the past, I am still carrying small for Week 38.
I will most definitely keep the news current here...Shanah Tovah in any case, may we all have health and good news this coming year.