Monday, September 7, 2009

Michal and Yael, Their Newest Addition

I just returned from the Brit Milah of Michal (and Yael's) baby boy, welcome to the world Daniel Chaim! It was a typical and wonderful religious Sephardic affair, with plenty of food and moving customs, some of them more long-winded than others.

Michal's mother was glowing, her father was the Sandak (Godfather) of this beautiful little boy with the most intense and alert gaze I have ever seen. Michal's grandmother, who was supportive of her throughout the fertility and pregnancy process even when others in the family were not, held her great-grandson with obvious pride.

I felt badly for Yael, who is going to legitimately be the other parent of this baby. Because the family remains in complete denial regarding Michal's sexual orientation, Yael was not "allowed" to be wished a Mazal Tov, she was pushed to the back of the room so she could not watch the circumcision, and was ignored, despite the fact that she cried just as hard as Michal when the baby was welcomed into the Jewish community.

I am not a lesbian, and without addressing the issues of "alternative lifestyles," I still felt that Yael deserved better.

I cried as well, out of joy of course, for Michal and all that we two have been through on this journey to motherhood, for Michal and Yael who have become parents to Daniel, and for myself, in anticipation of my initiation into this club.

No comments: