Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let the Shopping Begin

I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday, telling him that with less than three weeks left before my technical due date - I could even give birth before - I am working almost every day, though with slightly less intensity than I have in the past. After expressing concern for my physical well being, he said to me, "What are you doing with all that money?"

And the answer is this: I am spending it faster than I am making it.

In the last week, I have completed the down payment on the baby furniture package, so it can be delivered to the house at a moments notice. I have bought all sorts of little items that will be needed to make the baby's initial stay comfortable, until I figure out what I will really need on a day-to-day basis. I can now say with confidence that should a newborn's diaper need to be changed in my house, I have the supplies.

I don't resent the money spent on this child, and if in fact she were a teenager right now her eyes would be glowing with happiness at the amount and attention being spent on her.

My "To Do" list has significantly shrunk as well, with only several more key errands to run before I will feel like I am ready for this baby to arrive. But of course, as this pregnancy has taught me more than any other lesson in life, I do not control when she comes, and can only hope that she decides to be a good sleeper and a healthy eater. There are only two beings in the Universe who know her birth day, G-d and the child still growing inside me, and neither has sent me a telegram with specifics.

2 comments:

koshergourmetmart said...

you should go out to dinner and something else special, go out with friends that you will not be able to do easily after the baby arrives

Doc said...

I quite agree with you about doing something that will be harder once the baby arrives. The problem is that I am so tired by the end of the day.
I had wanted to get to London to see a play before it closed (Waiting for Godot, with amazing actors), but by the time I figured it out, I couldn't fly anymore...