Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dancing around the Question

It has been raining for the last two days in Jerusalem and around the country, and this morning on the way to Gan, Raphaela and I observed a slug (without its shell) squirming and squishing along the sidewalk at a rather quick pace, for a slug.

Raphaela asked me where the slug was going, and I replied that he was looking for a new shell, and that then he would go home to his Mommy.  She immediately added, "and his Daddy," after which I assured her that both the Mommy Slug and the Daddy Slug would be found at home, wherever that may be.

My daughter has completely entrenched herself in the "Why" phase of learning, and though she seems to have a deeper understanding of our family situation, I keep waiting for The Question IE "Who and where is my Daddy?"  I have rehearsed the response one million times in my head but thus far, Raphaela does not seem particularly concerned about the question, or the answer.

2 comments:

Rachel Selby said...

From my experience they seem to accept that they don't have a daddy in the same way that we don't have a car or more children in the family. By the same token, x doesn't have cousins in London like we do. DD is 4 1/2 and she hasn't asked where or why yet.

Doc said...

That's actually a comfort, to know that we as single mothers are able, with work and awareness, to give our children the security of being loved 'despite' the unique circumstances, so they don't feel deprived on a regular basis of the mythical father.