Monday, June 18, 2012

Going Cold Turkey

Several months ago, before Shavuot, I spoke to the Head Nursery Teacher about starting serious toilet training at home, with the full support and cooperation of the Gan during the daytime hours.  I was told at the time that it was "inconvenient," because at least six other children were in the process of toilet training, and she did not want to spread the resources of the nursery staff too thin.

I felt slightly resentful that my daughter got sidelined, held my breath and figured the appropriate moment would arrive.  Truthfully, diapers represent a certain ease for me as a parent, regardless of their cost to my budget, or to the planet.

Last night, I got a late-night call from the Head Nursery Teacher telling me to bring a whole supply of girl's underwear to Gan today, that it was now "Raphaela's turn," and she practically guaranteed that the whole business would be done by the end of the week.

I am realistic enough to know that there will success and failure, and that I will end up doing lots of laundry, until Raphaela is completely comfortable with her new Big Girl status, and I will joyously support Raphaela for as long as it takes. 

No comments: