Sunday, October 3, 2010

First Day of Nursery

Yesterday at my cousin's house, we celebrated Raphaela's first (English) birthday, with family and songs and chocolate cake.

Last night after Raphaela went to sleep, I gathered all her equipment for nursery school and labeled them with a permanent marker, as per the instructions from her new care takers.

We arrived at her nursery this morning, one of the first; I thought it might be hard to get out of the house by 7:30 am, but I was motivated to get her acclimated as easily as possible, and so we left the house on time. It took approximately another half hour before the room started to fill up, and as long as I sat in the corner within view, Raphaela was able to explore and play with the other children.

As a social child, I know that this exposure to a larger and more varied group will only benefit her and help her confidence grow, but as her parent, I found it difficult that my baby was one of many in a room, where she did not get the level of exclusive attention to which she has become accustomed. I was reminded to observe only, but there were several times that I wanted to jump out of my seat and say, "Hey, what about my kid? Why aren't you playing with her?"

It is well known that the parents make the situation much more stressful than the children themselves, and so I must concentrate my efforts in not getting in Raphaela's way. I admit that at one point, Raphaela crawled over to me and asked to nurse; I did so happily, feeling that I was still needed, and relieved that I could provide her with some comfort in a strange situation.

It was her first day, and she did not nap at all this morning because of the excitement, and the head teacher sent us home around eleven am, so Raphaela could take a nap in her own bed. I will, however, bring Bunny tomorrow, to add to her cubby shelf, so she can learn that naps happen in Gan as well.

No comments: