Monday, October 18, 2010

Catch and Release

As a photographer (and a blogger), I realize that once I show someone else my art, I no longer own it, in the sense that now the general public can and will react in their own way, and I have no control over the outcome.

Yesterday, Raphaela celebrated her first birthday in nursery. She sat on the special birthday chair and wore a crown with flowers; the children sang songs and played birthday games, and then we all ate some Black Forest cake. Clearly, from the look on her face and the mess on her clothing, Raphaela enjoyed herself.

What I enjoyed most was the fact that when her nursery teacher started the festivities by asking, "Whose birthday are we celebrating today?", all the kids shouted out, "Raphaela!" Other children know her name and play with her during the day, Raphaela has been released into the Greater Universe, and now others besides her Mommy can love and appreciate her who she is, and who she is becoming.

Raphaela is my greatest work of art, and I am more than happy to share her and watch her grow with each encounter with the world out there, as long as she keeps coming back to me for snuggles.

2 comments:

Ariela said...

Mazal tov - happy birthday. You are both really lucky to have another

Doc said...

Thank you! I feel so blessed.