Monday, May 31, 2010

My Very Own National Geographic Show

For the past two days, Harry has been sitting by the smaller window in the office. In the mornings he sits there and cannot stop talking, and today I finally figured out why: a pair of (common Israeli) pigeons have set up a nest there, if you can call the sad little pile of twigs a proper nest. The mother bird has laid one egg, upon which she sits as long as Harry isn't trying to swipe at her from the other side of the window. As a bird, the mother does not do much other than sitting and occasionally shifting her body position. And lots of blinking.

I personally have become fascinated by this show of nature, watching the mother sit and blink, and the father go back and forth to bring more twigs. Because they set up their nest in my office room, I must stop myself from being distracted. I can't wait until the baby bird pecks its way out of the egg, I can't wait to watch it learn how to fly.

For the moment I have barred Harry from the room altogether, so the mother bird doesn't have to run away every few minutes.

I only wish Raphaela were a bit older and could appreciate this gift of the beauty of nature.

Not that turning eight months old isn't an accomplishment in itself. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I am the mother of this amazing child, happy eighth month birthday Raphaela!

1 comment:

tygab said...

Happy 8 months, Raphaela, from just 8 months baby Abigail.
PS I have just found your blog recently and love your quiet, stately way with words. Thanks for sharing your experiences.