Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mighty Powerful Women

Last night, in a post-birth first, I did not get into pajamas and go to sleep early, after putting Raphaela to bed. I got dressed up, hired a baby sitter and attended a Barnard Alumnae event in Jerusalem. It felt great to get out of the house and be a grown-up, and it amazed me how many women I knew in the room, Barnard graduates with whom I have regular interactions in my daily life, and I never made that connection.

Not that it surprises me, for example, that my colleague Dr. Diana Fleisher is a product of a Barnard education; she has revolutionized the Women's Health field in both Israel and abroad. Nor did it surprise me to see Beverly Gribbitz in the room, a woman who has set up a high quality, progressive girls' school here in Jerusalem. It may sound cliche, but we were educated to change the world, and make it a better place than it was before we arrived.

A discussion arose between Dean Denberg and an older alumna, regarding the suitability of Israeli women of American parents who apply to Barnard after the army. Dean Denberg stated that the school appreciated the more mature perspective and life experience of a person who had grown up in Israel. Those at my table disagreed, and we all felt that it would be harder for a more "hardened" and mature post-army Israeli woman at the age of 20 to integrate socially into an American Freshman class of largely superficial 18 year olds.

I appreciate everything that Barnard gave me, and hope that Raphaela can find a place that nurtures her in terms of her artistic and academic growth, though I am not convinced that she will graduate at Barnard in the class of 2034.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've given this issue a LOT of thought, and while having a post-army Israeli go to Barnard would, indeed, be great for Barnard, there would be many, many obstacles for the student.

First, as you say, is the social aspect. This could perhaps be overcome if the student is mature enough to live off-campus and commute, and find a social outlet with older undergraduates, graduate students, and the New York Israeli community. But it would be difficult. And meanwhile, the student has close army and high school friends in Israel already.

Second is the cost, especially since a much more affordable college education is available locally.

And third is that Barnard takes 4 years to finish, while Israeli university takes 3 -- an important difference for someone who is already 20 years old and ready to get on with life.

In other words, with perfectly acceptable alternatives here in Israel, a student (and her parents, who have to pay for all this) would have to be INCREDIBLY motivated to get a Liberal Arts degree in that special Barnard atmosphere.

Personally, I believe that a degree in Liberal Arts, particularly from Barnard, is worth both money and headache, but even as a proud alumna I wouldn't advise it for a post-army Israeli unless she comes from extreme wealth and is EXCEPTIONALLY adventurous and independent.

The problem isn't how to get more Israeli women to Barnard, but how to get more Liberal Arts opportunities to Israel.

Doc said...

Well said, Sarah. Thank you!