Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Fright of My Life

The little boy who plays with Raphaela (the son of the care taker) has apparently come down with Strep. I don't know if it is viral or bacterial, and I can assume that Raphaela was exposed at least yesterday and the day before, before the symptoms came to light.

In taking her home today, I was distracted, thinking about the possibility of Raphaela getting ill in the next few days, and thinking about a work related problem. I stopped close to our house, on a steep street which used to have heavy traffic until it was closed down due to a property dispute with the Jerusalem Municipality. I put the breaks on the stroller in order to examine the boysenberry tree which has just started producing fruits. I know I put the break on, and the next thing I know, the stroller is barreling down the hill and gaining speed, and heading straight into a road which actually does have cars. Cars that are moving.

I dropped my cell phone and ran, the adrenaline pushing me to catch up with the stroller. I thought one hundred thoughts about what kind of damage might happen to my daughter. I didn't care what kind of damage would happen to me. I managed to catch the stroller with one hand, and then was afraid that the stroller would flip over and hurt Raphaela. I managed to get the stroller to the side, right before it arrived at the larger and busier road.

Meanwhile, Raphaela had a smile on her face. She had enjoyed the ride and seemed to be oblivious to the threat to her life that she had just avoided.

I know she is fine, and I know I locked the stroller, and I know that it will be very hard for me to sleep tonight.