Monday, December 12, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

In the crusade to enact No Pressure Toilet Training with Raphaela, I have done all I can to set the stage for success.  We have a potty and a soft seat in the bathroon, next to the toilet;  Raphaela plays pretend games which involve her dolls sitting on the potty, after which she says, "All clean!"  The Potty Book (In Hebrew, girls version) is one of our favorite bedtime stories.  When I go to the bathroom, I forgo my privacy and have Raphaela watch me and hold my hand, as I explain how much fun it is to be a big girl like Mommy and use the toilet.

Now we have an issue of patience, ie Raphaela does not have the tolerance to sit on the potty for more than three seconds, not enough time to get results.  When she tells me that she is about to dirty her diaper, I ask, "Do you want to sit on the potty instead?" and she answers with a resolute "No!"

This morning, when I was getting dressed, Raphaela watched as I put on my own underwear.  She insisted that she too wanted panties and a bra.  I explained to her that she does not yet need a bra, and that she will get underwear when she is a big girl who uses the potty.  Raphaela continued to beg, and so I clothed her in a diaper, followed by a pair of underpants, with her fleece pants on top.

At the very least, her lower body will be warm.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

If it makes you feel any better, I wore diapers until I was well into being three years old, but I'm now a productive and hygienic member of society. :-)

Commenter Abbi said...

When she's ready to regularly go to the toilet, she'll let you know. Until then, keep stocking up on diapers.

koshergourmetmart said...

I agree with Abbi. don't rush;when she is ready, she will do it. If you force it, it will do more harm than good

Rachel Selby said...

I was getting ready to start toilet training the coming Friday when DD came in from Gan on the Thursday, pulled off her nappy and announced "no nappy! knickers!" And that was the end of nappies - she wouldn't even wear them at night. We had a few accidents but we never went back to nappies. She was 2 and almost 8 months.