Monday, August 1, 2011

Best Served Cold

During the construction of the illegal apartment below me, there were days where I could not live in the house becuase of the drilling and noise and disruption.  Then there's the 1600 NIS in damages to my car from one of the larger trucks, which I paid for out of pocket because the land lord refused to take responsibility.

This past two weeks, I have been threatened and invaded by the workers of my land lord, so they can install an illegal system which supplies the apartment downstairs with utilities.  In this time, he has caused me close to 10,000 NIS worth of financial damage, not to mention boatloads of stress.  He continues to deny responsibility for his actions.

Yet he calls himself a tzaddik ["Righteous person" in Hebrew] because he is religious and prays to G-d three times a day.

This morning, after they made more changes to the electrical system yesterday, I woke up to find that my refrigerator had broken due to an electrical short, all the food was spoiled or defrosted, and I had nothing to give Raphaela for breakfast.  I literally collapsed on the floor and started crying.

Oh yes, that makes him a tzaddik.

I know I am moving in one month, but I don't know if I will make it until then.


Midlife Singlemum said...

Withhold any more rent payments (cancel the cheques if you've already given them to him). Do not pay your final electric bill! Make a detailed list of all the expenses he has imposed on you and tell him you'll see him in court if necessary. I'm sure he won't want to go that far as he has an illigal apartment to hide. If you don't want to deal with him get a lawyer to send him a lawyer's letter.

Commenter Abbi said...

Hmm, not sure I'd go that route with anyone who employs goons as this guy does.

Best to just get through the month and forget about him.

I really pity the his next tenants. I would also contact a lawyer to see what can be safely done with a guy like this.

Nicole said...

you can also put some info in

Amy Charles said...

Don't pay him. Also, what kind of legal recourse is available? Take him to court, don't be afraid to do that. I've had to do it; not a big deal.