Monday, June 28, 2010

The Big Leagues

This afternoon, while sitting in the library with Raphaela, a little girl of about three years old came over and sat next to me, and simply opened the Hebrew book she had chosen to the first page. Ignored by her older brother, she designated me as the next best surrogate reader and friendly face in the room; and so I began reading a story about a rabbit who learns that true friends like you for you, and not for your stuff.

It felt good to know that I radiate a warm and positive energy, and not just to my own daughter. It also felt great that I could read a Hebrew book to a native Israeli child and not stumble over the words, as I used to do when asked to read Hebrew in front of others.

The 13th anniversary of my aliyah passed without much fanfare this past weekend, I have been so busy juggling the various aspects of my life. I know that I will always have an American accent no matter how elevated my Hebrew vocabulary. Though I am quite sure that Raphaela will teach me more than I ever learned in Ulpan, I finally have the confidence to speak up and read in public, a proud accomplishment.

1 comment:

Dom Casas said...

If you have ever thought about buying or selling a home, you can find tips and tricks on how to do so here. Educational goals don't have to go out the window because you're a mom. There are many different options available to you, including the SingleMomFinancialHelp.com Scholarship, grants for single moms and Scholarships for single moms can be found on our site as well.