Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sleep Training

Raphaela has an internal Swiss clock that wakes her up exactly at 4:20 am, every morning. After speaking with the care taker ("Raphaela has no problem napping with me...") and consulting with the numerous resources I have available to me, it had become clear that I needed to let her "cry it out" for a few days, until she learned that it is not appropriate to start the day when it is so dark and quiet outside.

I would be happy if she stayed asleep until 6 am, I could work with that.

I decided that I would wait until Raphaela turned three months to start this sleep training, which mostly involves her crying and me trying to ignore it, and not cry myself or feel like a terrible parent. That birthday has come and passed, and I have already gotten through two early mornings in which I let her cry for about a half hour, and then just couldn't take it anymore.

It doesn't help that Raphaela was born to be an actress, and her range of expression when she cries includes sobs, whimpering, coughing/choking and downright screaming. It also doesn't help that I do not have a partner here who can hold my hand and comfort me, and remind me that I am neither neglecting nor abusing my child, but simply trying to teach her the ways of the physical plane of Gaea.

I know that this is best for all of us - Gina Ford's theory that a well rested mother makes a happy, healthy and contented baby - and I must muster the courage and commitment.

5 comments:

Commenter Abbi said...

Hmm, i'm all for sleep training, but the early morning wake up is a bit tricky. Have you tried just taking her into bed with you and nursing? She will probably fall back to sleep until at least 6 if not seven.

I always had more luck with sleep training at 6-7 months.

Doc said...

Tried using the breast as a sleep method, it works only 25% of the time. If I can get her back to sleep, she takes an early morning nap, that's it. Obviously there is a party she's missing somewhere.

anonymous said...

It may be a wet diaper issue. I would go in change the diaper, give her a kiss and say its time to go back to sleep and then let her cry.

koshergourmetmart said...

what's with gaea?

Amy Charles said...

I'm guessing you're trying this too early. 3 months is still pretty immature, a young infant.

You may have to rearrange your schedule so that you catch a nap, too. I know of very few babies sleep-trained at that age.