Thursday, October 3, 2013

Shabbat Shalom

Walking to Gan this morning with Raphaela, we waited patiently at the cross walk for the light to turn green.  In front of us, an elderly man on the way to synagogue looked both ways and crossed against the red.

Raphaela got very upset and said to me, "Mommy, it was red! He crossed when it was red!"

Once we crossed, we were able to catch up to this gentleman, and Raphaela pulled on his shirt to speak to him about his traffic violation.  Hard of hearing, he leaned down with his good ear to listen.

" Man, be careful!  You are not supposed to cross when the little man is red."

" You are absolutely right.  I crossed because I am running late, but I should not have done it."  He stroked her cheek and continued, " Thank you sweet girl.  Shabbat Shalom."

It's a good thing my daughter has never seen me cross the street in The City, red pedestrian light, zig-zagging between the cars, when I was a "real" New Yorker.  I would most certainly get an earful.

No comments: