Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Prelude to Pessach I

Yesterday Raphaela's Gan led a virtual seder for the children, taking them through the story and the ritual and songs, and all the varied food items they could expect next Monday night.  They also sent them home with an astounding "Seder Kit," complete with a pillow (for leaning), a cup for wine and a little bottle of grape juice, a kid-friendly Hagaddah and a model of Moses in the Basket.

This morning I was talking to Raphaela and she said to me, "I don't like Pessach anymore."  Surprised, given her enthusiasm of the past few days for the holiday, I asked her to explain.  Raphaela answered that she doesn't like potatoes, and she doesn't want to eat them at seder or for the rest of the week.

Ah, the Ashkenazi potato conundrum.  I assured her that there would be no force-feeding of potatoes, and the day got just a bit brighter.

(I guess we will not be attending the Pessach Potato Festival this year.  And no, I am not imagining that event, it exists...)

No comments: