Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chicken Pox!

Here's an open invitation to anyone who wants to expose their children to Chicken Pox the natural way, as opposed to the less-effective vaccination.  Raphaela, and the rest of the children of her Gan, may or may not be coming down with the virus within the next week, caught from one little boy in Raphaela's group who stayed home this week.

Intellectually, and certainly based upon my background as a doctor, I know that this is the best thing to happen to my daughter, to get exposure to Chicken Pox early on, with less suffering than if she were older, thus giving her life-long immunity.  I and two of my cousins had the Chicken Pox together, when I was about four years old;  we hung out at my aunt and uncle's house, trying not to scratch, though I do remember that I was afflicted with a particularly bad case.

As a Chiropractor, I can objectively listen to a patient's symptoms and give a calm and reasonable analysis.  Somehow, for my own child, I find myself incapable of being rational about the subject.  I keep hoping that because she is still nursing, Raphaela will have enough anti-bodies so as not to manifest the more awful symptoms of the virus.  I am already entering into a panic about finding a sitter for a week, should she need to stay home. And every time Raphaela's skin starts to redden, I frantically search for the classic rash of Chicken Pox.

The virus can incubate for 10 -20 days, so by next week, we will all know for sure.

3 comments:

Ariela said...

why not vaccinate?

Doc said...

The synthetic vaccination doesn't necessarily guarantee the same anti-body creation and long term retention as being exposed to the virus itself.

Ariela said...

my three oldest (teenagers) got CP when they were small. Two of them have had shingles since. My daughter even had shingles twice. Shingles is about 1000 times worse that CP. I wonder if the vaccine prevents shingles as well?