Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Faux Pas

This morning, the teller at the bank asked me if I was expecting a second child.  I responded (in a way that would cause him the least embarassment possible) that "No, not expecting, just wearing a Winter sweater."  It makes me think that I need to go through my wardrobe and buy clothing that fits me better, now that I stand at my thinnest since high school.

In order to make up for his faux pas, the teller - who has known me for years - then said that it was the smartest thing that I did, bringing my daughter into the world and not waiting until I found a husband.  I thanked him and tried to change the subject.

On a positive note, I find it refreshing that in comparison to the reception I received while pregnant, those who know me even on a superficial level treat my single motherhood as something natural and wonderful.  If I were to announce that indeed I had undergone fertility treatments for a second round and was carrying a little brother or sister for Raphaela, I have no doubt that the reaction to the news would be supportive.

Today's Factoid, from the Israeli papers:  Research has confirmed that breast-fed babies are 8% smarter than bottle-fed babies.  As well, 41% of Israeli men resent the fact that their wives/partners are nursing.  Apparently it is hard to share...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not an expert but you might want to wait until you have totally weaned Raphaela before you buy new clothes. Your body might change again after you stop nursing.

Risa Tzohar said...

C'mon, give the guys a break. Maybe they just want to be able to share the joy of feeding the baby as well?

Anonymous said...

Are you thinking of having another child?

Doc said...

I dream about having another one, but now given my physical exhaustion, the fact that I have no real family here to help on a regular basis, and the fact that I don't think I could find free time in my schedule, it doesn't seem practical.