Monday, January 10, 2011

Gan, Next Year

It's that time of the year when parents have to decide where their child will attend Gan in September of 2011, a time of signing contracts and writing out pre-dated checks.  In principle, I am quite happy with Raphaela's Gan, with the progress she has made there socially, and with their approach toward the early childhood educational experience.

The only reason I could see not attending this Gan is if we move to a completely different neighborhood or city, and then, obviously, the commute makes no sense, no matter how good the nursery school.

They have joined with me in encouraging Raphaela to start walking, the next Herculean task for Raphaela's physical development.  She can stand with stability, and cruises no end, but does not seem to want to walk.  As one of her care takers said to me the other day, she tends to take the "easy way out," ie crawling, which she does well and speedily. 

I actually asked my mother when I started walking, and she replied that I was a late bloomer at a year and a half.  I know that some aspect of Raphaela's walking is genetic, and I am trying my best not to pressure her, but it would nice if I did not have to carry her everywhere.

3 comments:

Commenter Abbi said...

You can't really "encourage" a child to walk. She'll do it when she's good and ready. My oldest started crawling at 5 months and didn't walk till 18 months. Since she was a large 18 month old, everyone thought she was delayed and looked quite odd crawling around. But, when she was ready, she took off beautifully and was running within days.

It has nothing to do with "taking the easy way out". It has everything do do with getting the balance, confidence and coordination together.

All of my kids refused to practice walking holding on to an adult. They just pulled their hands away. The only encouragement I can suggest is walking toys and maybe a cheap doll stroller. Once they can get the balance to push a flimsy doll stroller, they're ready to walk on their own (the stroller doesn't really provide and real support, it's more psychological.)

Essentially, like birth, there's not a whole lot you can do to push things forward and when she's ready, she'll let you know.

koshergourmetmart said...

my son started crusing at 7 months and did not walk until 14 months. he waited until he was sure he could do it and then walked w/o ever falling down. When he talked, he waited until he could do so and then spoke in full sentences. When she is ready she will do it.

Ariela said...

This is one of the first lessons that will teach you a golden rule of parenting - you cannot control your child's developement. When she is ready - she will walk.
She is your one and only - enjoy the baby stage while it lasts. The "Go to hell, but drop me off at the Mall on the way" stage follows quickly behind.