Tuesday, August 31, 2010

That Four Letter Word

L-I-C-E.

There I said it, and I bet as soon as you read that four letter word, you started scratching your head. Many years ago, when my hair was the longest and curliest it has ever been, I got a serious and gross case of L***, and it scarred me for life.

Last night, at the parents' meeting for Raphaela's nursery, the topic arose, and I realized that now I have to think about all the various diseases, large and small, that my child will bring back from the school yard. Until now she has enjoyed the small child care settings, which severely restricted her exposure, and that is about to change.

Emotionally, I feel ready for Raphaela to expand her social contacts and essential experiences. I am not and will never be ready for the L***. I wanted to run out in the middle of the gathering to the local drug store down the street, and buy every remedy both natural and toxic.

However, if I were to wish the plague of L*** upon anyone, it would be the mother of the child who stood up at the meeting last night and announced with disdain that she was "uncomfortable" and angry with the idea that "The Crawlers" - the youngest group in the nursery program, Raphaela being one of them - will set back the development of her own two year old, apparently a super-genius.

Don't all parents think that their child will save the world?

7 comments:

Amy said...

You'll be amazed at the sudden social and verbal leaps and bounds she'll make once she is in a group setting. When my niece went from a sitter in her home to daycare at the JCC, it was an amazing transformation.

Don't let that other mother get to her. $10 says her's is the first kid eating paste ;-)

Amy said...

I meant "get to you". oops.

Ilana said...

Perhaps this mother was just expressing a legitimate point of view that she prefers less age-mixity, a year a group instead of two or more years a group...

There are legitimate arguments either way.

And yes, it can happen that activities start getting boring for the oldest children in the class, especially with age-mixed groups, at the end of the year...

Unknown said...

I hate day-care and school meetings. The worst thing about them is always the other parents.
There are much worse things than lice - think pin worms - yuck.

Doc said...

The children are all in the same building, but have their own groups. A child can get "promoted" for an activity if they are interested, but I do think that mother believes her son sits at the center of the Universe.

koshergourmetmart said...

You should not wish ill-will on other people's kids. She was not attacking your child. She probably feels the way S5 mentions. Your comment "I do think that mother believes her son sits at the center of the Universe" I am sure you feel that way about your daughter

Doc said...

In fact that was my point, that all parents put their children first and foremost.
Here's the issue, this nursery has a known philosophy, which includes the idea of group dynamics combined with personal development. This woman knew that when she signed up in February, and there was no need to insult the parents of the youngest group of children.
Not that I took it personally, and not that I would wish lice on anyone's children, certainly not before Rosh Hashana.