Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Friends

Even two years ago, when I started researching the topic of pregnancy and single-motherhood, I was astounded to find out that within Jerusalem, there exists quite a large group of single mothers by choice.

I have only recently begun to truly appreciate that phenomenon and support, having made friends with two women, one who gave birth to a little girl only two and a half months ago, and another who gave birth to a girl about three and a half years ago. Not only do I enjoy hearing the joy in their voices, the stories of the enrichment that becoming a mother has brought them. I also can finally speak to people who have undergone very similar experiences, from the fertility treatments, to dealing with their families and community; and hearing a preview of sorts of what I can expect in approximately three and a half months, when I am due to give birth.

I have had trouble as an adult making new friends, and it has been a while since I spent a solid two hours on the phone with a girl friend. I love that feeling that not only am I living outside the traditional box, but that I have a whole group of amazing women living there with me.

No comments: