Monday, February 23, 2009

As a Regular Pregnant Person

For approximately the past two weeks, I have lived knowing that I have a child growing inside me, and knowing that I do not have to run to Hadassah at six in the morning for various tests. I have also lived with the fact that if I do not have a bowl of cereal as soon as I wake up, I start vomitting. (The fetus prefers Honey Nut Cheerios.)

I have lived every hour of every day in prayer, hoping that this child is developmentally and genetically healthy, that we both will get through all the upcoming invasive tests in peace and quiet; and that by next September, I will be a Mom. I have never prayed so hard in my life.

Today I had my first appointment with my OB GYN, to hear and understand the course of events for the next seven months, and to schedule the crucial tests which will give me the information I need, and yet on some level don't want to hear. I can already tell that we will have an interesting relationship, with Dr. Dani talking me out of many theoretical hysterical discussions of the "what ifs", for the next seven months.

According to our discussion today, here are the tests that are to be done:
1. Nuchal Fold (to check for certain baseline symptoms of Downs Syndrome): Between weeks 10-14
2. System Scan #1 (to check organ by organ): Between weeks 14-16
3. Amniotic fluid/Genetic testing of baby: Between weeks 16-20
4. System Scan #2: Between weeks 20-24
5. Glucose/Gestational Diabetes: Between weeks 24-28
6. Ultra sound (to check for anmiotic fluid levels): Week 33

There are, of course, other optional goodies for testing, but for now, this seems appropriate.

No comments: