Monday, February 25, 2008

The Quest

I am on the path to become a JSMBC, a Jewish single mother by-choice.

At the age of 29, I moved to Israel, with the following plan in my head and heart: set up successful business, meet amazing man, get married have children, buy house with picket fence in suburbia.

At the age of 37, after several failed long-term relationships and a broken engagement, I briefly considered getting pregnant, and came to the conclusion (after superficial research and major soul searching ) that I was not emotionally capable to bring a child into the world.

Within the past six months, I have emotionally committed to being a mother, because while finding my soul mate does not have a time limit, the physical ability of my body to carry to full term and bring a healthy baby into the world does.

It was actually a confluence of events that re-ignited the thought process and consideration of entering into single parenthood; for one, my friend and Pilates instructor, a single woman about my age, recently had a child using artificial insemination, and she is the happiest I have seen her. I can't count the number of times that people assume I am already a mother, when they see me interact with children. And in recent conversation with a close friend, she pointed out to me all the benefits I have in the "pro" column, things I could not see because I am too close to my life and my reality, and a bit afraid of leaping out of my comfort zone.

I run a successful business and am CEO of my own company, so I decide when I work and when I don't, and thank G-d, the business is thriving and stable. I exercise four to five times a week, have the advantage of a healthy cycle, and the advantage of maturity and life-experience.

Add to that, Israel as a society ranks highest in Western countries for fertility R and D, and as a country is much more supportive of parenting and mothers, providing 14 weeks of paid maternity leave. Not to mention the automatic health care at a minimal cost.

When the expert Russian sales-woman asked me if I my bra size had gone up from 36B to a 40 C because I was breast feeding, I responded, "I wish." I think I am ready to have a child.

So join me in my adventure, this blog will share the technical aspects and emotional roller coaster, and will hopefully open a forum for other women in Israel and all over the world considering the same life-altering plan.

No comments: