Thursday, July 3, 2014

An Israeli in New York

This evening, after landing at JFK airport and going through customs, I turned my back on Raphaela for just a moment, to get a luggage cart, and she was gone. With the help of several policemen and customs officials, she was found ten minutes later, wandering around/exploring the airport.

Furious and terrified, I picked up my daughter, gave her a big hug and said, "Raphaela, New York is not Jerusalem! At home you can be brave and independent, because you know the place and people know you. In New York, stick next to me at all times. I would be devastated if I ever lost you." (Thinking that if she ever got lost at home, at least several people would watch over her, buy her a cookie and keep her safe until I found her.)

Ironic, given the recent events in Israel, though perfectly consistent in my head.

No comments: