Friday, June 20, 2014

The Sun and the Moon and the Stars


In this Paul Klee-esque interpretation of our family, I stand bigger than life, my head touching the sun and the heart-shaped Love cloud.  I dominate the page like the Jesus sculpture on the cliffs of Rio de Jeneiro, one of the seven wonders of the modern world.   Raphaela is represented by the larger pink person and the small pink person is "the baby," the younger brother or sister about which Raphaela dreams.

When my daughter brought home this drawing this week, I lost my breath for a moment.  I know emotionally and intellectually that Motherhood is a heavy responsibility and a privilege, but until you see it on paper, it remains more of a concept and guiding principle. 

I am at the moment the center of Raphaela's universe, and I feel overjoyed and terrified at the same time.

No comments: