Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Wisdom of the Unfettered Soul

This morning, after dropping off Raphaela at Gan, one of the other mothers and I were talking and she said, "I wish I could spend all day playing with my friends and coloring."

It reminded me of a conversation I had years ago, with my youngest brother, now 25 years old but then Raphaela's age and in nursery school.  I had come home for a Shabbat weekend from college, and we were walking together; I asked him what he does in nursery each day.

YL (Age 3.5):  We color and we play and we have nap time.
Me:  Wow, I wish I could go back in time and be a kid again, and spend the day playing.
YL:  You will, you will come back after you get very old and you will be a child again, in a Mommy's tummy.
Me:  (Thinking, "Well that's a progressive nursery if they teach reincarnation.") But what if I don't remember that I wanted to come back to simpler times and appreciate the chance to play?
YL: (Age 3.5 going on Guru)  Don't worry, your soul remembers.

No comments: