Saturday, November 20, 2010

Silent Communication

Since last Tuesday, I have lost my voice.  I have spent much of the day and night fighting this feeling in my throat that a mucous monster has settled permanently on my vocal cords.  I am taking Vitamins, and conventional medicine, to try to combat this virus.

When I went to the doctor last week, in despair that a simple hoarse thoat was turning into headaches, tinnitus and fatigue, she gayly informed me that I had picked up one of Raphaela's viruses from Gan, and that as long as we were sharing germs, I would be sick on and off for the next year.  Great...

As a result, I have not been able to sing or read books or speak to Raphaela as I normally do, and very often I communicate with my daughter with and exhagerated version of baby sign language.  Turns out you can say a lot without speaking any words at all, but I hate being ill, and I hate the idea that I cannot function as a normal human being, never mind as the parent of a 14 month old.

Today I am going to take Raphaela to Gan (where she can pick up another random virus, I am sure) and then come home, cancel all my patients for the day, and stay in bed.  I can't stop working indefinitely, and I must take care of myself in order to take care of Raphaela, and my Chiropractic clients, and my parents who are visiting us in Israel for next week and a half.

It would be a shame if my parents came all this way from Boston, and we could not spend any time with them.

No comments: