Tuesday, December 22, 2009

#?!@# Schedules

Last week, my excellent caretaker introduced me to her "Baby Bible," Gina Ford's Contented Little Baby Book. In truth, it was the first among all I have read that spoke to me, because she was spot on in her analysis of Raphaela's (and other babies her approximate age) daily cycles and rhythms. Except for a four hour break in eating which doesn't suit my daughter, all the naps and feedings coordinate exactly, when you stick to her regimen.

If only Raphaela would not wake up at four am instead of the Ford seven am expectation. At this hour she is wide awake, eyes bright and stomach hungry. Sometimes she falls asleep again and sometimes - like this morning - she immediately becomes overtired and cranky and needing to be held continuously. I have not gotten anything done, as it is next to impossible when you need to lug around 11 pounds of baby girl to avoid the shrieking that could shatter crystal glasses. No shower, no breakfast, no expressing my engorged breasts.

I didn't expect Raphaela to conform to a strict timeline the first week, though the book says it can happen within 48 hours; but thank G-d I am taking her to the caretaker for four hours today while I work with grown-up Chiropractic clients. We both need the break from each other, and the money I make can go towards therapy.

No comments: