Sunday, August 2, 2009

We Are Head Down!

The beginning of this week was a very baby-intensive week.

On Sunday morning, I went to the baby store (Baby Michel, Talpiyot) and ordered the nursery package, to be delivered after the birth of course. The package includes a crib, a dresser, a stroller and car seat, and a bathtub; plus a bunch of small extras to get a new parent started. It felt almost surreal, picking out sheets and furniture for a child who already has a personality of her own, I hope she approves of my choices.

On Monday morning, I had my Week 32 ultra-sound, an assessment of the size of the fetus, the level of amniotic fluid and other factors. At some point the technician seemed concerned that the heart rate of the umbilical cord was in the lower range, she explained to me that it could affect the size. But once the entire exam was completed, the size of the baby fell exactly in the middle of the chart, a little under 2 kilo, and approximately four days ahead of schedule overall in terms of growth. In any case, my doctor (with whom I have an appointment on Tuesday) has the final word on whether this needs further monitoring before the birth.

The other good news of the morning is that the baby is head down, and while there is time for her to turn, it is less likely at this stage that it could be a breech birth. Hooray for my little champion!

The baby has an extraordinarily strong face in terms of bone structure, and long legs as well. When the technician needed her to move a little, I used the designated stomach nick-name ("Uli") and she responded right away.

Monday afternoon and evening were taken up by Hadassah Hospital, Ein Kerem, for the very last birth class. Four long, very long hours, with very few bathroom breaks, though probably the most informational session of the whole series. While I was there, I had intended to take the opportunity to officially register and get the birth check-in materials, but I did not have the proper identification with me, and so they would not allow it.

This morning (Tuesday), I set aside three hours to have a private session with Paula Aji, a doula whose specialty is Hypnobirthing. She was wonderfully supportive, did not talk down to me, and taught me many tools that once I practice, can be most useful for keeping the birth as natural and as intervention free as possible. She also helped me understand that most of my fears regarding the birth itself come from the horror stories and subsequent guilt my mother has imprinted on me over the years; "I was in painful labour for 28 hours with you...you came three weeks late...you were pressing on my nerve and the epidural didn't work...it was the middle of the Summer and hot as hell." Paula reminded me that I am not my mother, and that births in the late 60's were far less evolved than they are today, that genetics can only take you so far.

No comments: