Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Difference a Nap Makes

Starting three weeks ago, they started the drilling beneath me, and it was so terrible that we basically moved out of the house. Last Friday I spoke to the contractor, who told me that they had finished with the "noisy part;" he lied. The first three days of this week the "Congo" drilling continued, and then yesterday, they mysteriously disappeared. No Arab workers, no dumping bin, no headache-causing noise.

I suppose I should have been grateful, but instead got paranoid. I don't know what their plans are, they are certainly not sharing information, and so I still live with basic uncertainty.

Since the drilling started, Raphaela has refused to take naps at home, and when she does not get that 45 minute siesta in the morning, she becomes grouchy and less cooperative for the rest of the day. This morning, after she again refused to nap despite the fact that the house was perfectly quiet, I took her out in the stroller, and perused the hills of Jerusalem for the time that she needed to rest.

The change in her was simply put, remarkable. She became that laid-back, happy and cooperative child, after over two weeks of her perfecting the art of the tantrum. So nice to meet that Raphaela.

No comments: