Friday, July 10, 2009

The Lessons of Children

At this moment, my seven year old cat Sarel "Runs Like Rabbit" is having emergency surgery. Thankfully it is not a tumor, though I spent most of last night and this morning imagining how I would feel if I did find out that he had cancer. A preview of the kind of concerns that new motherhood will bring, though I pray that I am not constantly playing out Worst Case Scenario in my head.

The hefty bill for this procedure left me reeling, but then again, I am not going to let him die a slow and painful death. I cannot, because he is family as much as anyone else. Unexpected expenses come up with pets, as they will most assuredly with children, and at the end of the day, it is only money, compared to the attachment and responsibility I feel.

No comments: