Thursday, January 1, 2009

Awkward Moment (But not for Me)

The head of the IVF department, the 'famous' Professor Horowitz, performed my IUI today. I had been hoping to meet him and yet it was the first time in a year that we met in person, and in the most personal way. He is a lovely man, who obviously cares about all the women under his auspices in the department.

I had been sitting and waiting for my turn today for almost an hour, when one of the nurses with whom I have become particularly close saw me, and insisted that Professor Horowitz help me. I owe Chava a big hug, she also helped me get this "extra" round of IUI by convincing the doctors that my awareness of my body and my logic was sound.

While waiting, an unmarried religious Israeli women who I know from the neighborhood came in to speak to one of the IVF nurses. When a woman walks onto that floor and into that clinic, there is only reason she is there. Yet, she felt uncomfortable recognizing me, and initiated what Douglas Adams calls in his book, The Hitchhiker's Guide, an SEP field ie "Someone Else's Problem." She ignored me, and on her way out, simply said, "Are you sticking around?" To which I replied in the affirmative, as I had sperm in hand and the room was not yet ready.

She walked out quickly, avoiding eye contact. Which is a shame, because I am not at all awkward about my choice, and would have been happy to talk with her, and support her in her own quest.

No comments: