Monday, March 10, 2008

Switching Hospitals

Because of the sperm shortage, today I switched from Hadassah Ein Kerem (closer to my house, nicer nurses) to Hadassah Har HaTzofim (further away but more professional). I arrived with my partially completed personal file and waited close to an hour, comforted with the book I had brought to read, and the knowlededge that at least they take their time with each client.

The doctor felt that even if I had heard the deflating pep talk several times, it would not hurt to hear it again: I am old relative to the fertility process, and I should not expect smooth sailing without a few bumps. Although it was his opinion that I immediately try to boost my hormones and increase the chance of multiple births, we agreed to try it my way for several months, ie chart my natural cycle and inseminate at the peak of ovulation. He is a firm believer in conventional medicine, and pooh-poohed the idea that gender or pregnancy could be influenced by body temperative, mood or diet.

So now it becomes a waiting game, for my next period and then a series of ultra-sound exams and blood tests. I think that today was the last time I attend these consultations by myself, because from now on, I start counting down to the first exciting attempt at pregnancy. I believe that the energy of love and support around me most definitely impacts conception, and the personality of the child.

No comments: