Monday, September 14, 2009

The Difference One Year Makes

Today is my last official day of working, I need the time for myself, before the birth and before the Jewish holidays take over the country of Israel. I bumped into a friend of my father's from college, a man known to be an excellent pediatrician in Israel. He said that he would be happy to take us on as clients once the baby is born, and then pointed out, almost too casually, "You know you have another two weeks to go..."

I don't want to hear that, as I am not sleeping, have started heartburn in the last few days, and am actively experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions. I would like to think that the size of my belly is deceptive, even to the professionals, that it is easier to assume that a small stomach means that the baby will arrive late. My father, for whatever his instinct tells him long-distance, feels that I will give birth this Thursday, on the day that also happens to fall on his birthday and happily before the major holidays. I am happy to give him that birthday present!

I also had an acupuncture appointment this morning, different than the usual, in that she worked on pathways to the uterus, places which she had previously avoided. Acupuncture can take affect anywhere between 12 hours and three days, and I am looking forward to seeing the results.

I end today on a sad note, commemorating the life of Pilot Asaf Ramon, son of the Israeli pilot and NASA astronaut, Ilan Ramon. The 21 year old Israeli Air Force pilot was killed yesterday in his F-16, and all of Israel mourns for him, and for his family. It makes me think about the importance of family, of the connection between children and their parents, and it makes me want to meet my child even more.

Last year, on Yom Kippur, I had just experienced a severely painful miscarriage, and reacted in kind, both emotionally and physically. Beyond angry at G-d, the Greater Universe, and my body, all I did was fast, and refused to open myself to a word of prayer or understanding. How wonderful it can be one year later, as I await to meet my daughter, who will be born in this time of introspection.

No comments: